Our Nutrition and Food Service staff at CVMC's Mountain View Café strive to provide popular tasty comfort foods as well as fresh, local, healthy food choices prepared to order by our staff credentialed through the American Culinary Federation. When available, we use locally sourced foods from Maple Wind Farm, Paul Mazza Produce, Cabot Creamery, Black River Produce and Meats, and MacKenzie Meats among others. We participate in the Vermont Fresh Network, as well as the Healthy Food in Healthcare Pledge through the “Healthcare Without Harm” national organization.
Our Weekly Menu
Each week we offer a different variety of grill specials and hot entrees for both lunch and dinner, as well as a diverse breakfast menu ranging from eggs and bacon to muffins and danishes. Here is a sampling of some of our menu items (click on menu on right to view this week's offerings):
- Grill Specials: Grilled Chicken Breast sandwiches, classic burgers, Philly Cheese Steaks, Vegetable burgers, BLTs, BBQ Pork, Tuna Melts and more!
- Hot Lunch and Dinner Specials: Roast Pork, Macaroni and Cheese, Mexican Enchiladas, Lasagna, Sesame Crusted Salmon, Chicken Stir Fry, Stuffed Flank Steak and more!
- Soup of the Day: Split Pea Soup, Tomato Bisque Soup, Seven Bean Soup, French Onion Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup and more!
- Salad Bar: Each day our salad bar is stocked with local fresh greens (when available) and a variety of vegetables, beans, meats and other yummy toppings.
- Yogurt Bar: Our yogurt bar, available all day long, feature a variety of yogurts, fresh and dried fruits, granola, nuts and more.
- Sandwich Bar: Stocked with all of your favorite meats and sandwich toppings, along with a variety of locally made breads (Shelburne Farms), as well as pitas and wraps.
- Grab & Go Sandwiches & Salads: A variety of pre-made sandwiches and salads are available "to go" each day.
ACF Credentialed Staff
Our goal is to maintain our position as a top-performing Nutrition and Foodservice among all hospitals. Several staff from CVMC are credentialed from the American Culinary Federation with many others in the certification process to improve their understanding and practice of the culinary arts.
Our Sustainable Food Practices
As part of CVMC's strategic initiative to GO GREEN, our Nutrition and Food Services staff has worked hard to help CVMC reduce its carbon imprint by implementing the following programs, which have now been in effect since late 2009:
- Food Donations: Each month, CVMC donates about 200 lbs of food to the Food for Salvage program at the Vermont Foodbank.
- Composting: We compost about one and a half tons a month of unusable food waste. Our composting efforts have earned CVMC an award for excellence in composting from Central Vermont Solid Waste District (CVSWD).
- Buying Local: CVMC buys food products from many local and regional companies as part of the Vermont Fresh Network.